Sunday, May 8, 2011

Chapter 3

I know what you’d say. That there was nothing I could’ve done. That they were out for blood. My blood. And the best way to do this was to cancel you. That Pine Fannon and his minions outnumbered us. That is was inevitable what happened.

That I should just get on with my life. Let it go.

But I can’t.... Let it go. They have to pay for what they did. Not just for my sake. No. They have to pay for taking a life. Your life. So precious. So pure. Yes, they would pay dearly for taking away the only thing that mattered to me. The only one I’ve ever loved.

That was my first mistake. Loving you. I know that. Hell, you told me to stay away. That it was too dangerous. That Fannon and his thugs were watching our every move.

But no. I was cocky. Wouldn’t take no for an answer. Believed that our love would keep us safe.

Shit.

What the hell was I thinking? But that’s just it; I wasn’t thinking. At least not with my head.

Fannon knew this. Oh, he was smarter than I gave him credit for. He knew that I was vulnerable. That I was getting sloppy. Meeting you in places that invited his scrutiny. Taunting him. Daring him to try anything. The Eat Dog Cafe. The Razor Thin Ice Rink. Lake Seductive.

Flaunting our affair, our love in his face. I should’ve known that he would get nasty. Resort to methods that even I could never have imagined.

Oh, Rodney, if I could take it all back you know I would. Or hell, I at least would’ve been more careful.

But that’s neither here nor there now. It’s Vengeance I want. And I’m gonna get it. Sure, Fannon thinks I’m gone. Eliminated along with you at the bottom of the lake. That’s my ace in the hole. Take the shithead by surprise.


“Narita? You got a minute?”
“Sure, Galinka. What’s up?”
“I think you’re going to like what I’ve found. If I’m right, and I’m sure I am, then Fannon, Grisly and TA are gonna play right into our hands.”

I shook my head. Galinka. She was a gem. Of course, if she knew the real reason why I wanted Fannon's head on a platter, she might not be so quick to put herself at risk .

Then again, I have a feeling she’s more of a Romantic than she lets on. Even though she’s pretty damn deadly with a baseball bat when someone’s crossed her.

“Okay, then, let me have it.”
Nodding, Galinka pulled out her iPad, began flipping its apps in rapid efficiency. “Here it is.” She pointed to a photo of the CMCA.
“The Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art?”
“Yeah, you’re gonna love this.....”

Smiling I leaned over her shoulder. Just close enough to get a whiff of her To Die For 69 Perfume.

It made me just a little dizzy. But I fought Temptation. Forced myself to focus on her goods.

And they were good. What Galinka had found would further my plan. Payback was gonna be sweet. Even if I knew that deep down, Rod, you’d be shaking your head. Telling me that it wasn’t worth the risk. That it was over.

Hell, it’s not over. It’s not gonna be over till Fannon, Grisly and TA get what’s coming to them.

Galinka turned and gave me a sly smile.
“Perfect,” I said. “You know what to do?”
She nodded. Closed up the iPad, and headed out, a subtle whiff of her To Die For 69 lingering seductively in the darkening afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment